What is an Abortion? And How do we do an Abortion At Home?
What is early pregnancy?
- Early pregnancy is considered, normally, when you are in the first trimester or 12 weeks of your pregnancy days where we suggest is a good time to have an abortion which is the safest period. Normally women identify their pregnancy in the first month after they have missed their first period i.e. within 4 weeks.
- And so your pregnancy days are counted from the first day of your last period.
Why do we recommend terminating pregnancy during the early trimester?
- Generally, early pregnancy is the time when you have just missed your first or your second period and your body is in the stage of developing your uterus to support the fetus for its proper formation and proper development. The embryo at this moment is not completely formed and it doesn’t have a firm hold on the uterus lining yet. This is the primary reason why most miscarriages occur during the first trimester.
- During your first trimester, the only noticeable part of your pregnancy is the gestational sac which looks like a drop of water like the size of a grape and the embryo is still tiny and microscopic. Termination of pregnancy if done during this period will not affect you emotionally and neither too much physically.
- It is very easy to buy an MTP kit online and terminate unwanted or unplanned pregnancy using abortion pills for having a safe process at home.
Is early pregnancy termination easy?
Yes, this time is the most suitable for abortion as, during this time the fetus has not formed, the condition of early pregnancy days is similar to the later menstrual days. During your menstrual cycle, you happen to shed the uterine lining and during early pregnancy, this lining thickens to be known as deciduas which are basically caused due to hormones required to maintain pregnancy and grow the fetus. If you abort during this time the deciduas break down and so it replicates miscarriage.
What are the different methods of Terminating Pregnancy?
- Generally, there are two methods of termination of pregnancy, one is the surgical process and the second is abortion with pills, both processes are equally safe and secure during the first trimester however, the medical abortion option is cheaper and far more discreet than surgical abortion. The efficacy levels are also the same in both cases but surgical abortion includes physically scraping of the uterus using tools and administering anesthesia which is not suggested as this may crop up issues later.
- World Health Organisation has approved the method of using abortion pills and the procedure to be the safest non-surgical form of abortion.
What are abortion pills?
Abortion pills are the pregnancy termination pills that help you to have a natural abortion by creating a condition in the body that replicates a miscarriage. US FDA has endorsed two types of abortion pills for medical abortion the Mifepristone and Misoprostol pill. One can buy an MTP kit online which has both these pills packed in one kit. This kit is available without prescription on Both these pills are manufactured by various manufacturers and are sold under various brand names which are equally safe. Likewise RU486 a brand name for Mifepristone is used in Europe by women to terminate a pregnancy for around 2 decades. Similarly, Mifeprex is also called a Mifepristone pill, for misoprostol, we also have Cytotec 200 mcg.
How do these abortion pills work?
Both the abortion pills can be consumed at home with a glass of water to terminate the pregnancy but on different days and with proper procedure. The mifepristone pill is an anti-progestin pill that stops the pregnancy hormones, progesterone, and the estrogen necessary for the development of the fetus. And, misoprostol pills create contractions of the cervix and dilate the cervix so that the entire embryo is expelled out in the form of vaginal discharge. These misoprostol pills shed the uterine lining of decidua that has been formed during the first trimester.
Who can take abortion pills?
- You can take abortion pills only if your pregnancy is uterine and not ectopic, which you can confirm by getting an ultrasound done and this is strongly recommended. In the case of ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy) you need to get a surgical abortion done and Medical abortion won’t work nor is recommended. (Ectopic pregnancy is a method where the embryo gets implanted in the fallopian tube and not on the uterine wall).
- Your pregnancy duration should be within 12 weeks. One should remember to remove any IUD device if you are using it before consuming abortion pills.
How to take abortion pills?
- A woman can perform a medication pregnancy termination on her own at the convenience of her home without anyone even noticing it. Consume 1 Mifepristone tablet (200mg) orally with water, on the first day of the abortion. After this, wait for 1-2 days. Then take Misoprostol 4 tablets (200mcg each) with water or these could be inserted in the vagina too.
- If taken orally, place all 4 pills (together 800mcg dose) in the cheek pouches for at least 30 minutes. If the user does not start bleeding in an hour, then she needs to repeat the Misoprostol process after 4 hours.
- It is recommended for women to undergo an ultrasound test to confirm the abortion. If the woman is within the first 7 weeks of pregnancy, then she can terminate it with 1 kit. And if the gestation is greater than 7 weeks, then she would require administration of 2 kits.
What are the side effects that you will face?
There are very few usual side effects to medical abortion which using MTP Kit or Mifegest Kit:-
- Mifepristone can cause temporary nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain caused due to cramping
- Misoprostol can lead to dizziness, headache, and in rare cases constipation.
How long will the side-effects effects remain?
The abdominal pain may last up to 4-5 hours though it may even last for 6-8 hours in case of intense pain and is a case-to-case basis. The vaginal bleeding may last up to 14 days or more with scanty bleeding and spotting after 10 days
How to tackle the side effects?
In order to tackle bleeding keep ample units of sanitary pads or maxi pads with you, but do not use menstrual cups or tampons as they may result in infections. One should take a blood coagulation pill to restrict excessive bleeding. For cramps and abdominal pains and fever, we suggest you take ibuprofen so that the intensity of pain decreases but this dose should not exceed 2500 mg in 24 hours. In case you feel nauseous and vomiting takes an anti-emetic pill. But the best way to tackle these problems is to buy Abortion Pill Pack online as this pack has all the required medicines to handle all such situations.
What if the side-effects aggravate and how to understand that?
If your side – effects increase beyond a specified time or are uncontrolled by any of the pills then you should immediately report this to the doctor. In case of bleeding is more than 2 maxi-pads gets absorbed in an hour it’s abnormal if you pass clots which are larger than the size of a lemon, it’s abnormal, if your fever doesn’t decrease 4 hours after taking the anti-inflammatory pill then you need to visit the doctor urgently. In a few cases, it is observed that if you have a smelly vaginal discharge then you should check with your doctor as this can be a symptom of vaginal infections.
What if you do not get an abortion with pills?
- In case you do not bleed or the abortion is incomplete we recommend you go to the doctor for an aspiration procedure. This procedure is safe and doesn’t include anesthesia or scraping of the uterus and can be done in 1 day.
- You should make sure that you complete the abortion process and do not continue the pregnancy after taking the abortion pills as this may lead to invalid birth or a deformed baby in the future.
What not to do after an abortion?
- After an abortion does not indulge in heavy or strenuous activities such as using heavy machines, driving, exercise. Avoid having sex for at least 14 days to avoid any inflammation in the vagina.
- Get an ultrasound done after 14 days or a urine test after one month to confirm the abortion else visit a doctor for further treatment.